1What kind of services does the KOSIS site provide?
The KNSO is operating a 3-year project (2006-2008) to construct an integrated DB to provide 700 types of approved statistics drawn up by 160 statistical agencies.
As yet statistical users have difficulties in finding what they need because each statistical agency distributes varying forms of data on their own website. But users will be able to log on the KOSIS site, you can search for their desired statistical data. Also you can find various information such as the current status of national statistics, major statistical indicators, news releases related to statistics, columns, etc.
From March to June 2007, the KOSIS site provided a demonstrative service focused on the data from the KNSO and the Bank of Korea. Since July 2007 it has started showing the data of 40 statistical agencies whose DBs were constructed in 2006. We'll gradually expand services by integrating all Korean statistical data into the KOSIS DB in 2007 and 2008.
2What are the differences between the past and the present KOSIS English sites?
The present English site shows more data and information compared to the past site.
The present one was reorganized so as to be consistent with the KOSIS Korean site in terms of searching statistical tables.
3How many statistics do Korean statistical agencies produce?
As of March 1st 2007, 740 kinds of statistics are produced according to the Article 8 (or 9) of the Statistics Act. (92 kinds of designated statistics and 648 kinds of general statistics)
You can see the details through the link below.
4How can I see statistical tables?
We provide information by subject for efficient access to statistical data. Please refer to the user guide for details.
5ActiveX can not be installed to see statistical tables.
ActiveX is required to see statistical tables. You'll see the message concerning the automatic ActiveX installation.
If ActiveX isn’t automatically installed, ▫ you can follow these guidlines.
1) For Internet Explorer of all Windows(XP, Vista etc.)
- In Tools menu, make sure Pop-up Blocker is turned off.
- To change Pop-up Blocker settings,
- On the Tools menu, point to Pop-up Blocker, and click Pop-up Blocker Settings
If you use any type of Toolbars, you also make sure Pop-up Blocker is turned off.
2) For Internet Explorer of Windows 7
- The KOSIS site should be added to the Trusted sites list in Internet Explore
- To add KOSIS as Trusted sites,
1. Open the Internet Options and go to the Security tab. Select Trusted sites.
Click the Sites button.
2. Uncheck the Require server verification checkbox. Add http://kosis.kr to the
If you can't install ActiveX in this way, uncheck the Enable Protected Mode in Security tab.
3) For Safari Browser
- Basically Block Pop-up Windows is checked. You should uncheck it.
- Open Edit menu and Uncheck Block Pop-Up Windows.
- Or Open Edit menu and go to the Preferences. Select Security.
Uncheck Block pop-up windows.
If all guildlines above don't match your situation, you can install it manually.[ Manual installation ]
6How can I download statistical data as a file?
When you inquire statistical tables, a menu will be shown at the upper part of the screen. Through this menu you can download data in any kind of file.
7How can I see meta data for the table?
The KOSIS provides explanatory data (i.e., meta data) to help users understand statistics better.
By clicking this menu, you can see meta data.